Beef Cattle Management
Cow/calf production in West Virginia allows for additional income to the farm enterprise. Price of cattle has been good during the last two years. Cattle numbers are down; therefore, the price should be above normal for the next couple of years.
A good summer management program includes the following:
- A good supply of quality forage to be grazed all summer.
- Rotational grazing enhances high quality forage and gives grass an opportunity to re-grow.
- Insect and parasite controls are essential for animal growth and health.
- Provide plenty of clean water.
- Supplement pastures with salt and minerals.
- Supplement feeds may be necessary when pastures run low or dry weather cuts back forage growth. Hay, silage, or grain is a good choice to make up the deficit.